Saturday, February 8, 2014

Black or Red??? This isnt Vegas!! Put it all on GREEN!!!!

 I've Gambled in Vegas, but this is the ultimate gamble. At first I felt like I was the only one on the planet in this situation and yet... here you are, realizing you are not alone. In fact today I discovered I am not alone in terms of people from the states moving to Ireland for various reasons, but I may be alone in my quest at starting over in the middle of my life when most people are thinking about retirement. I am making a big leap of faith moving to Eire. Alone at 45 years of age, I have some "guts", "courage" call it what you like, to be starting over but sometimes I think I'm just plain crazy. I love this house in the US, but its all I have and I cant take it with me. I am ready to give it up; to close a window and open a door. Start the next chapter of my life (or perhaps the next book?). Without a support system its the scariest, most adventurous thing you will ever do to kick start your life back into gear. SHAKE IT UP A BIT!!! I hope I get there before someone puts me in a straight jacket. Rollin the dice, I'm going to go back to school. That's how I can stay in Ireland at this point. Most others who move from the states to Ireland do so on a job transfer, or because their partner was from Ireland and they are returning "home".  I, however,  have no job transfer, nor skills from the DJEI highly skilled occupations list. They would not even give me my nursing license there, which IS on the highly skilled occupations list and I am highly skilled in my current profession. But.. nevermind that. I will start over. So back to school to obtain an MBA. Hopefully from there I will get to stay since there will be nothing in the US to come back to. Its a big gamble and I'm rollin' the dice. This is no bluff, this is gambling my life savings to start new. Going through my things room by room... what to take what to leave...organizing so that yes, I leave as a minimalist but feel filled with riches at this opportunity. Life is a gamble and instead of betting black or red, I am putting it all on green!!

                                                              The road to Connemara.

 Photography and journalism are copywritten and the exclusive rights of Gina Dagostino.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck, Gina! Hope your move and resettlement goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at the courage you're showing... I know I moved abroad as well, but I was much younger and had no strings attached anywhere ( except my friends and family obviously :-) ) I hope you find what you're looking for in Ireland. I'm also curious to know the motives behind the decision to go to that particular country...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your blog!! Its got everything from information to humor. I hope to write like you!! I'm not well versed yet in the social media world. I have a wordpress blog,
      irishchatroom.net
      I think there's a "follow" button through email. Would love to share a few exchanges! Thanks for writing. I'm honored.
      I am actually planning a post addressing that very issue. Motive. THAT particular issue though will take some thought and won't be as spontaneous as the rest of the posts. Cheers to all of us who have courage!

      Delete
    2. Wow ! thanks for all the compliments :-) I will check out your other blog as well

      Delete
    3. I think you are great!! Keep it up and can't wait for more!!

      Delete